BOOKS ABOUT THE ISLES OF SCILLY
Two lighthouse books by Elisabeth Stanbrook
West of Cornwall’s rocky shores, exposed to the full fury of the Atlantic Ocean, stand two lighthouses whose fascinating histories are now told by Elisabeth Stanbrook. She draws extensively on original sources, revealing a wealth of information and images.
Bishop Rock lighthouse is at the very edge of the dramatic Western Rocks off the Isles of Scilly, while just 2km beyond Land’s End stands the iconic Longships lighthouse, the vision of the ill-fated Lieut Henry Smith. Both stand as tributes to amazing feats of Victorian engineering, and to workforces of great skill and courage working in often dangerous conditions. The books also tell of lighthouse keepers isolated in the tower, their trials and tribulations, and the skills of the relief boatmen who provided a vital link with the shore.
Both books are A5 size in full colour with many illustrations, and a full colour soft cover, each priced at £6.50.
ISBN 978 0 906294 85 7 Bishop Rock Lighthouse 64 pages, 81 illustrations £6.50
ISBN 978 0 906294 86 4 Longships Lighthouse 64 pages, 77 illustrations £6.50
Quality guides to some of the more interesting aspects of Scilly's heritage, each book is by a recognised expert and contains a good introduction as well as a gazetteer of places to visit. Always well illustrated with photographs, maps and drawings, they have a common format of 48 A5 pages with a distinctive full colour cover.
- Scilly's Archaeological Heritage, by Jeanette Ratcliffe
- The Isles of Scilly are rich in archaeological remains representing over four thousand
years of occupation. These monuments are remarkably well preserved owing to the fact
that they are largely built of stone and lie mainly on moorland or uninhabited islands
untouched by modern farming. Produced by the Cornwall Archaeological Unit.
ISBN 978 0 906294 53 6. 89 illustrations. £4.50
- Scilly's Building Heritage, by Peter Madden
- The architecture of the Isles of Scilly reflects the environmental conditions and the
economic and social background of an isolated island community. Some of the buildings
are of national importance but generally the architecture is quiet and unostentatious,
reflecting its context. 120 buildings are illustrated and described.
ISBN 978 0 906294 36 9. 151 illustrations. £3.50
- Scilly's Wildlife Heritage, by Adrian Spalding & Pat Sargent
- Home to species found noweher else in Britain, the Isles of Scilly have a unique wildlife, often augmented by rare migratory birds and other travellers. This is the first general but comprehensive account of the wildlife of the Scillies, and is illustrated almost entirely in full colour.
ISBN 978 0 906294 44 4. 69 illustrations, many in colour. £3.95
- Cornwall's Lifeboat Heritage, by Nicholas Leach
- Great heroism by lifeboatmen in the past two centuries has saved many lives. This book recounts how the service developed in Cornwall and Scilly, and the progress in design of lifeboats. All past and present stations are described with many colour illustrations.
ISBN 978 0 906294 43 7. 105 illustrations, many in colour. £4.50
- Cornwall's Lighthouse Heritage, by Michael Tarrant
- The coasts of Cornwall and Scilly have been feared by sailors since seafaring began and nearly one
thousand known wrecks has resulted in the greatest concentration of lighthouses
anywhere in the world. Victorian engineering ingenuity and skill is described as well as
the human aspect of 'living in a lamp-post'.
ISBN 978 0 906294 62 8. 78 illustrations £4.50
Click here to see the full range of Heritage books.
Good books from Twelveheads